Wednesday, April 17, 2013

what 1st story teach us

In 1st story,shepherd boy ends with ultimate punishment.

     
      Punishment.... How many times we use this word.

"don't do this,or god will punish you."

      "Stop doing this or I will tell dad and he will punish you"


Not only at home but also in school,if something goes wrong it will lead to punishment.
And this need not to be actual punishment. Think only about the word,the threat we show them.Yes ...we use it often.

       So what I mean is punishment not a news to kids.it is day today's affair for them.they heard this quite often.

        If we ask 5 year old is lying wrong?.92% of them ends up saying yes.And if you ask them why?,they end up saying cause is give you punishment.

     Punishment that hurts him.when young kid lie,they risk this process by considering their own self protection.

     If they are safe,if its not causing any harm to themselves then they are OK with them.

   It takes years for kids to understand lying on moral ground.
They don't know anything about destroying trust after lying or carrying guilt of lying.

As I told you kids are smart to know that if I lie,they will punish me..
More than this they are smart enough to know,if I lie and get caught then only they can punish me.

So these sharp little minds start to think about lying to avoid punishment.They think if I can convince others that I m not lying then they will not punish me.so if I lie better they don't caught me after lying and I will be safe...win ,win!!!

So threat of punishments makes them hyper aware of personal cost and they start lying better.As they are engage in saving themselves from punishment,they become better liars.

And also this distract them from learning how lies impact others.
So  increasing threat of punishment not going to teach our kids to lie less..
think mama think

No comments:

Post a Comment